– Next flu season, if you’re worried about losing serious pounds when you’re sick, don’t. Sure you’re going to vomit and shit yourself but eventually it will end and then you can get after it with some chips and guac or lots of bacon. Something along those lines. It may not be fun, but just eat again when you’re ready and you’ll be fine.
– 3 x 10 or 10 x 3? I believe that 10 sets of 3 reps is superior to 3 sets of 10 the majority of the time. Move more weight at a higher quality and speed, stay better focused, get stronger. Everyone wins.
– SAID Principle: Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. Are you an athlete or a sitter? Does it matter to you? If you want to “be” or “look” a certain way, impose those demands on your body and to a great degree it will happen. Put your body through the wringer in various ways and you very may well represent that too. By that I mean, beat yourself up with too much physical work and you might represent a broken man. On the other hand, if you adapt to a lack of movement in your lifestyle then your body might hate you then too. Find what makes you happy and preferably in that middle ground. Just understand that your body represents how you treat it. Beautiful, strong, lean? Or, sick, tired and broken?
Bryce Drew, Valpo in ’98
– I’ll admit it, I didn’t watch one minute of college or pro basketball this season but I still love March Madness. Maybe it’s the same way I love college football in that every game counts and they are generally played on just a couple of days, but I can’t get enough. Underdogs, last second wins, Tim Brando’s voice, it all takes me back to my younger days.
– I recently finished reading “Man’s Search For Meaning” by Viktor Frankl and although I won’t try and tell you that I have figured it all out as I approach 32 years old this week, it was a great read. Plus, as Frankel says, “……. the meaning of life, differ from man to man, and from moment to moment. Thus it is impossible to define the meaning of life in a general way.”
– Mike Baltren